Compassion meditation is to focus on the feelings of others; to have empathy.
A good start to the practice of compassion meditation, is to take the steps below. Read the full step details available on the link above.
1. Build some groundwork before you start in order to get the best results.
2. Select a comfortable posture in a quiet and peaceful place to meditate.
3. Turn your mind towards those you have seen or known to have experienced a misfortune.
4. Wish them freedom of their sorrow or stress and recovery to a happier, healthier and more successful present & future.
5. Practice gentle mindfulness and awareness of just compassion.
6. Regularly let go of any other barriers that occur in your mind.
7. Explore with the ways true compassion can become false or harmful.
8. Consider ways that you can be more compassionate in your day to day life.
Pay particular attention to step seven! Without an understanding of this component, it is impossible to have a true and beneficial compassion meditation.
Compassion meditation, also known as loving/kindness meditation, is the most effective if happiness is your goal.
Loving Kindness Meditation (13 minutes) https://youtu.be/sz7cpV7ERsM