According to my web search, there are five main family styles of tai chi ³⁴, which are named after the families that developed them. They are Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun and Hao ¹²³⁴. All five styles have the same origin and share many similarities, but they also have some differences in their speed, intensity, posture and movements¹²⁴.
For example, Chen is the oldest and most vigorous style, which combines slow and fast movements with jumps and kicks¹²⁴. Yang is the most popular and accessible style, which features gentle and graceful movements with a large frame¹²⁴. Wu is a soft and subtle style, which focuses on redirecting force with a slightly forward leaning posture¹²⁴. Sun is the newest and most lively style, which resembles a dance with quick steps and a high stance¹²⁴. Hao is the least known and most advanced style, which emphasizes internal force and is not recommended for beginners¹²⁴..
(1) The 5 Family Styles of Tai Chi | prusha-taiji. https://www.prushataichi.com/the-5-family-styles-of-tai-chi.
(2) Tai Chi Styles - 108 Tai Chi Moves. https://108taichimoves.com/tai-chi-styles.html.
(3) What Is Tai Chi? - Verywell Mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-tai-chi-5073074.
(4) Tai Chi: Styles, Benefits, and Movements - Health. https://www.health.com/tai-chi-7107726.
Tai chi has many benefits for your physical and mental health. Some of the benefits of tai chi include¹²:
-Reducing stress and anxiety by promoting relaxation and mindfulness.
-Improving mood by releasing endorphins and regulating hormones.
-Enhancing sleep quality by lowering cortisol levels and calming the nervous system.
-Promoting weight loss by burning calories and improving metabolism.
- Improving cognition by boosting memory, attention and executive function.
-Improving balance and coordination by strengthening muscles, joints and proprioception.
- Managing chronic conditions such as fibromyalgia, COPD, Parkinson's disease, heart disease and arthritis by reducing inflammation, pain and fatigue.
Tai chi can also improve your overall well-being and quality of life by increasing your energy, confidence and social interaction.
(1) The Health Benefits of Tai Chi - Harvard Health. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-health-benefits-of-tai-chi.
(2) Tai Chi Benefits: Stress Reduction, Weight Loss, for Older Adults. https://www.healthline.com/health/tai-chi-benefits.
Tai chi is generally considered a safe and low-impact exercise, but there are some possible risks that you should be aware of. Some of the risks of tai chi include²³⁴:
- It takes time and commitment to learn and master the form, which can be frustrating or discouraging for some people.
- It can be hard to find a good instructor or a suitable space to practice, which can affect the quality and effectiveness of your learning and practice.
- It can cause some aches, pains, or injuries to joints if done improperly or too rigorously, especially for beginners or people with existing conditions.
- It may not meet the fitness goals of some people who prefer more intense or violent activities, such as sparring or contact sports.
- It can be addictive or tiring for some practitioners, who may overdo it or neglect other aspects of their health and well-being.
To minimize these risks, you should consult your doctor before starting tai chi, especially if you have any medical conditions or concerns. You should also look for a qualified and experienced instructor who can guide you through the proper form and technique. You should start with a simple and gentle style of tai chi that suits your level and needs. You should listen to your body and avoid overexerting yourself or pushing beyond your limits. You should also balance your tai chi practice with other forms of exercise, nutrition, hydration, rest and relaxation.
(1) Tai Chi: What You Need To Know | NCCIH - National Center for .... https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/tai-chi-what-you-need-to-know.
(2) 15 Disadvantages of Tai Chi: Do They Outweigh the Pros?. https://www.activif.com/15-disadvantages-of-tai-chi-do-they-outweigh-the-pros/.
(3) Tai Chi Benefits: Stress Reduction, Weight Loss, for Older Adults. https://www.healthline.com/health/tai-chi-benefits.
(4) Documented Disadvantages of Tai Chi - Tai Chi Basics. https://taichibasics.com/documented-disadvantages-of-tai-chi/.
(5) Tai chi: Benefits, types, and history - Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265507.
The frequency and duration of your tai chi practice depends on your goals and preferences. There is no definitive answer to how often you should practice tai chi, but here are some general guidelines²³⁴⁵⁶:
- To reap the greatest benefits from tai chi, you should practice for at least 15 minutes every day. It is better to practice every day than to have longer tai chi sessions once or twice a week.
- When you first start tai chi, you should practice daily for about an hour. This will help you learn the basic form and movements and get familiar with the principles and techniques of tai chi.
- As you progress in tai chi, you can adjust your practice time and frequency according to your needs and interests. You can practice more or less often, longer or shorter, depending on your schedule, energy level, mood and goals. You can also vary the style, intensity and focus of your practice to keep it fresh and challenging.
- The best time to practice tai chi is when you feel comfortable and relaxed. Some people prefer to practice in the morning to start their day with energy and clarity. Others like to practice in the evening to unwind and relax. Some people also practice at different times of the day depending on their mood and circumstances. The most important thing is to find a time that works for you and stick to it as much as possible.
- The best place to practice tai chi is where you have enough space, fresh air and minimal distractions. Some people like to practice outdoors in nature, such as in a park, garden or beach. Others prefer to practice indoors in a quiet room or studio. You can also practice in different places depending on your availability and convenience. The most important thing is to find a place that makes you feel comfortable and focused.
(1) The Health Benefits of Tai Chi – Cleveland Clinic. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-health-benefits-of-tai-chi/.
(2) How Often Should I Practice Tai Chi? - Body & Brain. https://www.bodynbrain.com/blog/body/how-often-should-i-practice-tai-chi/5395.
(3) How often should i practice tai chi? – Dane101. https://www.dane101.com/how-often-should-i-practice-tai-chi/.
(4) How many times a week should I practice Tai Chi?. https://staminacomfort.com/how-many-times-a-week-should-i-practice-tai-chi.
(5) How Often Should You Do Tai Chi - The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Yoga .... https://yoga.noahstrength.com/tai-chi-practice-frequency/.
(6) When is the Best Time to Practice Tai Chi and/or Qigong? — Balanced .... https://bing.com/search?q=how+often+to+practice+tai+chi.
(disclosure - Bing AI)